Monday, August 16, 2010

Our refuge

Anitawa and I had a free weekend, oh what to do? Well we had this wonderful idea to go to this get-a-way spot with natural hotspring and all. But, apparently that was everyone else´s plan, no space left! So, we flip through the tour book in Bolivia and decided on Sorata. It is a quaint little pueblo known for its narrow cobblestone streets and being tucked away safely in the valley of towering snow capped mountains. We explored the whole town in five minutes! Then we went for hikes through the hills and dipped our feet in the ice-cold rivers. The pace of life there is so relaxed. Almost everyone there speaks Aymara. Its always humbling being in a situation where you are completely lost and have no idea whats going on. Lets just say...I get humbled a lot. But I loved this easy going little, hidden town. I got my first shiatsu, a massage using pressure points. So tranquil.
My week

The children are precious. I should have come here as a teacher rather than a nurse. But either way I get to work with them. The children here are so well behaved. Its amazing how they can entertain themselves bare-foot, with a stick or an empty bottle. Best yet, was a brother and sister straddling on a skateboard and flying down a bumpy, rocky decline-cliff which (between you and me) was difficult to even just walk down. The children are just trusted and left on their own. But this week and next the área de salud is doing general medical check ups on all the
children, there are roughly 200. A lot. Typhoid has hit a few of us, unfortunately during all these physicals we are short-staffed. I even had to give a shot to one of the nurses here, see typhoid hits others worse. Luckily, I was not hit too hard with it and am healing quickly!Busted lips, smashed fingers, heads full of lice, cancerous elderly, inflamed arthritis, malnourished, gastritis, reflux, pregnant women, sexual transmitted diseases, and twisted joints. We see it all and we do pretty much anything here to. Within this week, we will be doing a surgery too. The doctor is eager for me to learn and is willing to let me gain experience. I am becoming more and more sure about my desire to go further in the field of medicine. A doctor maybe? A professor? Maybe I should be a nurse first in the states. I just get excited about the possibilities...

Los Yungas

So it gets cold here...I might have mentioned that already, or a couple times. But the Yungas is only a 7 hour bus ride a way with a tropical climate. There are palm trees, plantains, screeching birds, waterfalls, rivers, and fields to play soccer barefoot! Irene, her daughter, and I went for a weekend to stay with her brother who lives in Caranavi. I didn´t want to come back! We went swimming, hiking, played soccer, camping, and cooked and cooked and cooked. I think it is one of the best ways to get to know someone. Cook with them, chat with them, and share. It was indeed a paradise. The road to get there...not so much. It is also known as Death Road (for a reason). But I had some prayers floating my way and God on my side, we arrived and returned safely. Another downside to this little haven of warmth was--mosquitoes. Never in my life have I literally had to run from swarms. In the end, I´m going to say the fresh chocolate from the coco plantations, the warm air at night, the waking up to coconut milk straight from the tree that morning, getting to know Irene and her family, frying plantains (possibly too many), playing soccer, and meeting friends was way worth the risky road and hungry mosquitoes.
Matthew 5:14
"You are the light of the word. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on a stand, and let it give light to everyone. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
let your light shine...

2 comments:

  1. Jess! Loved it! You are learning some awesome things in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess,

    I've been following your blog...you truely inspire me. What you're doing is absolutely amazing and I'm so proud of you. Stay safe & please know the people of Boliva are in my thoughts & prayers. <3

    ReplyDelete