Thursday, August 5, 2010

Starfish

Entrada
Yet another entrada. This time I brought my camera. There were 71 different types of dancesthat participated, all folklore and colorful . The music was great and the energy was almost palpable. Of course I got in their and danced with the people in the parade, especially those afro-bolivianos, man do they have rhythm. Area del salud took the task of bringing me to the entrada. They even provided lechon, yum pig...and lots of it!





La Combre




This is the highest I´ve been. Anitawa piled as many as could fit in the jeep and off we went for an adventure. The month of august is the month of sacrifices...yup animal sacrifices. To thank mother earth for all she has offered and also to ensure health for the year. The drive up was, how would one put it, life threatening? We were literally in the clouds-meaning we couldn´t see very much. I would definitely say it was worth the drive and the risk. When we got there, I felt like I was walking in a dream. My childhood fantasy to walk among the clouds came true, and where of all places--but the mountains of Bolivia. The whole experience was so surreal. The only downside is we were drenched after only 10 minutes of walking around because of all the humidity in the clouds.




Los Mayores
The elderly have so much to teach us, so much experience, so much life. Yet it is lost as they feel forgotten and useless as their hearing disappears and their sight worsens. What can they still have to offer? Oh, so much! August is the official elderly acknowledgment month. Don´t you just love that? An entire month to say....hey thanks guys for the life you lived and for all that you have done. I went with a group of them to the inauguration of this month. Of course we danced, what else do 75 year old Bolivians want to do? They taught me all different types, some with success, others--well lets just say my partner was patient! The elderly make bread here. One to give them a task and two a way to profit for their association of Adultos Mayores. Guess who got to sit there with a basket full of fresh hot bread selling all that she could. Yup--me! I am there shouting, "fresh bread! get it now!!! oh its good....our own abuelitos made it!" Yeah no big deal...I sold all of it. Ha. Maybe they felt bad for this foreigner chick, or maybe I found my new calling?
Casa Luz
This week I was assigned a task. Yay, I am useful! I was told to assess the health of the children at Casa Luz y Esperanza, weights, heights, BMI...all that good stuff. Then sum it up and tell them who was at risk. I was excited to get to meet these children. They are all struggling with some kind of handicap, autism, ADHD, downs, or another disability. They are so precious, innocent, and in their own little world. Trust is not given easily. Their world is so fragile. It intrigues me how each child has a unique way of communicating, of relaxing, of expressing oneself. I have a favorite...yeah yeah...favorites aren´t nice. But if you saw this child, you would adore him too. He is four years old and goes by Brandon (pronounced with a sweet spanish accent). He has a speech impediment, but is quickly improving. He just looks at me with those bright eyes, smiles with those dimples of his, and I melt. I admire those that work at Casa Luz, patience is a must in this field of work. Thank you for all those that have the unending patience and love that is required to work with the mentally handicapped.


Mallasa
A beautiful national park. I accompanied the children from the sunday-school program on a little retreat. These kids are in their teens. I loved getting to know them more, hear them gossip, discuss their favorite type of music, giggle about boys, and lay upon me endless questions about the united states. We baked in the sun, ate a feast, failed at our multiple attempts at volleyball, rode horses among our beautiful moutainous backdrop, sped around on four-wheels through Valley de Luna (named because of its rock formations that remind me of those drip sand-castles that you make at the beach), and mainly just enjoyed the day. I felt like I connected with some of the girls. One, opened up to me and confided in me some family issues. It let me see how intricate everyones life really is. You may appear happy, confident, and content on the outside while literally you are terrified to walk in to you own home. Say a prayer for this young one please.


Culture
So here I thought I was well traveled and knowledgeable to most cultures. The other day I went to dinner to one of my friends house. Why? Well, I asked if I could meet his family and see how he lives. I like to experience things and really put my feet in another person´s shoes. Maybe I shouldn´t have. One culture that I do not know very well is that of the indigenous that speak aymara. I was fed a typical plate of the alto-plano. It was delicious and filling...I only wish they didn´t feed me so much! No worries, I finished it all, slowly but surely. The family I visited was not accustomed to guests. I ate in the same room the family of 8 slept. I tried to make small talk, but either I was intimidating or they were unsure of how to act with this american girl in their one room home. Either way my uneasiness grew as we sat in silence, with my mind racing. What should I say? Should I eat faster since I am the only one left with food still in her bowl? Why are they so quiet? Why won´t they look me in the eye when they talk to me? How do 8 people sleep in the same room, all arriving and leaving at different times? Am I offending them being here? Why did my friend just excuse my spanish for me!? Oh, like I said before...maybe second impressions are more important in Bolivia. The family was shy, but definitely kind. I just wish they would stop apologizing for their living conditions. How can they afford to give me a bag of the best looking potatoes as a gift? Oh the situations I get myself into. ´


My Analogy
A little sun bleached girl is racing along the beach. There are thousands of star fish washed up on the shore, left to dry out and die. She is breathlessly picking up the few that she can and tossing them back into the sea. An old man is watching from the distance. Fed up with this young girls infant thought that she can save all of them, he approaches her. "You know, little one, you will never get to all these starfish in time to save them?" She stops her frantic attempt to save the dying lives long enough to answer,"Yes, but they few that I do get to are still alive."


I thought about my situation here and the work that Anitawa and Janet are doing with the three clinics. There are so many different lives, situations, poverty in the world that we will never solve all the problems. But the few lives that we do manage to impact, are changed for life. I need to remember this when I get frustrated at my inability to solve everything. I am only one small vessel in God´s grand plan. Patience is a must, humbleness is a necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment